Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Joan Baez Sparkles at the Michigan Theater

I was blessed to attend a concert given by Joan Baez at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor tonight.  Wow!  Her violin-like voice has matured into a rich, earthy cello.  She makes alterations to melodies to accommodate changes in her vocal ability, and never has she sounded so musical.  There is a mellowness to her performance, yet her energy is strong and keen.  I enjoyed thoroughly her channeling of Bob Dylan in the last several lines of  "Don't Think Twice It's All Right."  Her "Suzanne" was haunting.  She sang a song I did not recognize in support of Occupy Wall Street "and everywhere else," as she put it.  It charged us to think of the common people, the lowly of birth, the working people.  (If anyone knows which song I'm referring to, please leave a comment.)  Her rendition of "Jerusalem" moved me to tears.  I, too, long for the day when "the children of Abraham will put down their swords" and live in peace.

I was struck by Joan's repeated compliments to the audience.  The first comment went something like, "You are  great audience.  Some nights I really have to work. Other nights I get to play.  Tonight I get to play."  Apparently, she doesn't always get an audience that has been appreciating her for over 50 years.  The house was filled to the brim with folks who were probably teenagers anytime between 1960 and 1975.  (My!  Do I look that old?)

At nearly 71 (her birthday is in January), Joan appears healthy, sparkling brightly from the stage, and glowing with inner, as well as outer beauty.  It was a privilege to be in her audience.  She is one of the great singer-songwriter-activists of our generation!



Here are some websites about Joan Baez for those who'd like to learn more.  You can find lots of her music on YouTube.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Baez
http://www.joanbaez.com/officialbio08.html (The photo above appears at this web location. I borrowed it and would gladly credit the photographer if I knew who took it.)

No comments: